School Nurse

Mercer School Nurse

Medications at School

Taking meds at school regularly or as needed? We must have an ‘Authorization for Medication’ form on file with the school nurse. Yes, this even includes Tylenol and Ibuprofen as well as allergy meds and inhalers. You can stop by my office or download the authorization for medication form from the district website.

The medication authorization form must be renewed each school year and allows students to carry their inhalers and leave a supply of other medication (in original container) in the nurse office.

Families are strongly encouraged to keep a 3-day disaster supply of meds (in original containers) at school in the school nurse office along with their consent forms.

Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)

SPS uses the SDQ questionnaire to identify students who can benefit from support, referrals, and extra planning. When students are struggling academically it is especially important to find out if there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed.

We are delighted to have a tool that is well established, accessible to parents and older students, translated into many languages, simple to use and helpful to guide decisions about the best student support.

There are many circumstances where this tool may be useful for your child such as academic or social problems or when a student has been referred for special education services.  If any of these problems appear, the school nurse may use the tool to screen for possible barriers.

Parents are invited to review the SDQ tool where they may also complete a parent report.

If you do NOT want the SDQ given to your child please call or email the school nurse with your student’s name and they will send an exemption form to complete and return.

Vision and Hearing Screening

These screens are routinely done for all 7th graders and upon request when a concern is expressed by student, parent or teacher.


Immunizations are important to keep all our students safe and healthy and are required for school attendance.

Students in middle school are required to have:

  • 3 doses Hepatitis B
  • 5 doses of Dtap PLUS 1 dose Tdap if student is 11 years old or older
  • 2 doses MMR
  • 2 doses of Varicella (chickenpox) or parent report of disease.
  • 4 doses of polio

Non compliant students will be excluded from school. Immunizations are available from your provider/clinic or the School Based Wellness Center. Contact me for any questions or to update your student’s immunization status.  

Immunizations that are not required by state law but are necessary for your child’s well being include: Meningococcal (MCV), Human Papillomavirus (HPV), and Hepatitis A.

Free and Reduced Breakfast & Lunch – Food isn’t the only benefit!

If your student is eligible for free/reduced lunch please complete the form you received in your first day packet, ask for another, or download the free/reduced meal application from the SPS website.

All students need the option of a healthy breakfast and lunch to fuel their brains and be successful at school. Studies show that kids who eat breakfast do better in school than kids who don’t. This includes better math and reading scores, better classroom behavior and better attendance.

Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

Health Issues

Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or email.

Medication at School

If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

School health rooms do not keep medications on hand for general use. Medications must be supplied to the school by the parents/guardians for their student’s individual needs. All medications must be brought to school in their original container/box with prescription label attached (if it’s a prescription medication) in order to be administered.

Medical Treatments at School

If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School

School-Based Health Centers (SBHC)

Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

Please have parent/guardian and/or student (if accessing services that do not need parent consent) call the clinic to schedule an appointment before student goes to the clinic.

Please schedule an appointment in advance especially if student does not attend the school of the school based health center. The SBHC may not have the capacity (panel may be full) or due to other limitations may not be able to serve students who are not from the school.

Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan.

Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services.

When to Keep Your Student Home

COVID-19 When to Keep your SPS Student Home – COVID-like symptoms take priority over symptoms from “Is My Child Too Sick to Go to School?” guidelines

Additional Resources