Mercer Summer Reading Challenge
Did you know that not having access to books or reading during the summer results in a reading loss that affects you even when you return to school? Some studies even suggest that it can take until February just to get caught up to where you were when school got out for the summer!
Mercer is dedicated to our students starting school in September even stronger readers than when they left in June. To accomplish this goal, we want to encourage all of our students to complete the following:
Summer Reading Expectations
- Read 6 or more books.
- Track your reading create your own reading tracking sheet
- When you finish a book, have your family sign off on your reading sheet.
- Return your signed reading sheet to your Block teacher when school starts in September.
- Be entered to win great prizes by grade level! (Prizes TBD)
How Families Can Support Your Summer Reading
- Talk to your child about the books they are reading (Consider creating your own book club by reading and discussing the same book!)
- Sign your child’s Summer Reading Challenge sheet or reading tracking sheet when they finish a book
- Take your child to the local library or bookstore
- Borrow or buy books that interest your child. Check out our Mercer Mustangs Summer Reads list!