Newsletter September 16, 2021
September 16, 2021
Dear Mercer Families,
Thank you for joining me at the PTSA meeting on Monday. I was able to talk more about Monday’s power outage and how your students handled the situation with grace and cooperation. I was also able to answer many school questions which will be sent in a PTSA FAQ. This newsletter will contain information for the week ahead: September 20-24.
Sherrie Encarnacion, Principal
Important Dates This Week:
Wednesday, September 22 and Thursday, September 23
- PICTURE DAY- during block class time
- Photos must be purchased online and can be preordered by visiting: https://yuenluischools.com/asa-mercer-international/?rq=asa through Thursday, September 30. After this date, photos will be processed for printing. Photos will be shipped to the school for distribution.
- Families can order photos after the seven-day grace period by entering an online code, which is your student’s school ID number. There is an additional cost to cover individualized printing, packaging, and shipping. Photos will be shipped directly to students’ homes.
Thursday, September 23 (the website will be updated with this correct time)
- CURRICULUM NIGHT (virtual)- come and see your student’s teachers and learn about their classes.
- 6-6:25PM will be for English Language Learners’ (ELL) families.
- 6:30-7:30PM all school. Families will follow their student’s schedule by joining links for each class.
- A special bulletin will be sent next week with details and information about links.
Fall Sports- Contact Janet Bautista, Athletic Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
See Ms. Bautista in room 103 or send her a message (email, Schoology, or Teams) if you have sports questions. This information is also posted on the Athletics bulletin board which is located near the health center.
Ultimate Frisbee: Practices start Monday, Sept. 20th
Practice – Mondays (4:00 – 5:15) Wednesdays (2:45 – 4:45) and Fridays (4:00 – 5:15)
Coaches – Head: Sam Terry, Assistant: Ari Lozano, Assistant #2: TBA
Games – Saturdays, Times and Locations TBA Starting Oct. 2nd
Soccer: started Tuesday, Sept. 14th
Practice – Tuesdays and Thursday (4:00 – 5:15)
Coaches – Head: Keith Leitich, Assistant: TBA (if needed)
Games – Saturdays, Times and Locations TBA (Starting Sept. 25th)
No activity buses for athletes until October when after school programs (OST) start.
Requirements for Sports participation: Both must be complete before athletes can participate.
- Registration on FamilyID.com (always completed every school year)
- Sports Physical Exam (Sports exam signed by doctor, good for 2 years)
- Can be uploaded with Registration on FamilyID
- Can be faxed to Mercer, e-mailed to Ms. Bautista, or brought to the main office
Health & Safety Contact school nurse, Jill Eckerdt 206-252-8007
- Be sure your parent/guardian contact is updated.
- Create a plan on who can pick up your child if you are unable to. Bring your identification to show us.
- Keep your student home if they are sick. “Covid-like” symptoms include:
- Fever/ chills
- Sore Throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Congestion or runny nose
- New loss of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches
- Difficulty breathing
What Happens When a Student Has Covid-like Symptoms at School?
- Student is escorted to the Protected Health Care Room. School nurse is contacted to help determine if the symptoms may be caused by a chronic condition or a recent non-Covid condition.
- Evaluation of student: Student is asked about symptoms including when they started. Temperature is taken.
- Parent/Guardian is called: Student must be transported home. Option for Covid testing at school is presented.
- Student is monitored. Parent/guardian may elect to have a Covid test done.
- Student may return to school following protocols.