Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Health Resources during COVID-19 school building closures: School-Based Health Centers, which are located at many Seattle public middle and high schools, provide services to all students, regardless of their ability to pay.

    Visit the Mercer Middle School Neighborcare Health webpage to learn more about our SBHC

    Visit our district website to learn more about School-Based Health Centers Resources.

    Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

    Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

    • Health issues: Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or e-mail. Or fill out the online student verification form (September 1-30) or through the Annual Student Health Update paper form. Examples include: Seizures, diabetes, asthma, life-threatening allergic reaction, cancer treatment, and anemia.

    • Medication at school: If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

    • Medical treatments at school: If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School


    Fall Flu Shots

    Protect yourself and your community from the flu. Seattle Visiting Nurse Association will provide your annual flu shot to students (ages 4 and older), staff and community members.
    Most forms of insurance (including Apple Health and Medicaid) and cash or check are accepted. Visit the SPS Flu Clinics page for dates/times for a clinic near you.
    Students who are enrolled in their school-based health center can also get the flu shot. Visit the King County School Health website for a listing of locations.


    Immunization Information

    To attend school students must present a signed Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS). Our district requires that immunization information on the CIS comes from a medical provider. WA State Immunization laws state that the student is in compliance if they are:

    • Fully immunized or
    • In process of getting immunized
    • Has a completed Certificate of Exemption

    As of July 28, 2019, personal exemptions are no longer accepted in Washington State for the measles-MMR vaccine. Students who were previously in compliance with a Certificate of Exemption for MMR are now listed as out of compliance with state law.

    You can obtain a copy of your own or your child’s (under age 18) immunization record located in the Washington Immunization Information System (WAIIS).

    Visit to keep up-to-date with past immunizations, get reminders for your family’s future immunizations, and even print your own official records.

    Students can receive immunizations through their school-based health center or at a school-based health center located nearby. King County School Health

    Other Immunization Resources:

    Health Registration Form

    I look forward to working with you and your student to manage any acute or ongoing health concerns. Please complete the Health Registration Form and return to me (also found in your beginning-of-the-year packet). It is helpful to have current phone numbers and to be aware of any health related issues that may impact your student’s ability to learn, attend class regularly or to get about the building safely.

    Does your student need medications at school?

    Taking meds at school regularly or as needed? We must have an 'Authorization for Medication' form on file with the school nurse. Yes, this even includes Tylenol and Ibuprofen as well as allergy meds and inhalers. You can download the form from the district web site or stop by my office. The medication authorization form must be renewed each school year and allows students to carry their inhalers and leave a supply of other medication (in original container) in the nurse office.

    Families are strongly encouraged to keep a 3-day disaster supply of meds (in original containers) at school in the school nurse office along with their consent forms.

    Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ)

    SPS uses the SDQ questionnaire to identify students who can benefit from support, referrals, and extra planning. When students are struggling academically it is especially important to find out if there are barriers to learning that need to be addressed. We are delighted to have a tool that is well established, accessible to parents and older students, translated into many languages, simple to use and helpful to guide decisions about the best student support.

    There are many circumstances where this tool may be useful for your child such as academic or social problems or when a student has been referred for special education services.  If any of these problems appear, the school nurse may use the tool to screen for possible barriers. Parents are invited to review the tool at where they may also complete a parent report.

    If you do NOT want the SDQ given to your child please call or email me with your student’s name and I will send you an exemption form to complete and return.

    Vision and Hearing Screening

    These screens are routinely done for all 7th graders and upon request when a concern is expressed by student, parent or teacher.


    Immunizations are important to keep all our students safe and healthy and are required for school attendance.

    Students in middle school are required to have:

    • 3 doses Hepatitis B
    • 5 doses of Dtap PLUS 1 dose Tdap if student is 11 years old or older
    • 2 doses MMR
    • 2 doses of Varicella (chickenpox) or parent report of disease.
    • 4 doses of polio

    Non compliant students will be excluded from school. Immunizations are available from your provider/clinic or the School Based Wellness Center. Contact me for any questions or to update your student’s immunization status.  

    Immunizations that are not required by state law but are necessary for your child’s well being include: Meningococcal (MCV), Human Papillomavirus (HPV), and Hepatitis A.

    Free and Reduced Breakfast & Lunch - Food isn’t the only benefit!  

    If your student is eligible for free/reduced lunch please complete the form you received in your first day packet, ask for another, or download one here. All students need the option of a healthy breakfast and lunch to fuel their brains and be successful at school. Studies show that kids who eat breakfast do better in school than kids who don’t. This includes better math and reading scores, better classroom behavior and better attendance.

    Wellness Center

    Separate from the School Nurse, students may receive medical and mental health care at the Neighborcare Wellness Center. It is operated by Neighborcare. Staff members work closely with parents to provide health care and education to our students. A parent or guardian must sign a consent form for the student to be seen and complete a registration form. 

    My hope is for all of our students to be healthy and safe. Please come see or call me if you have questions, concerns or just want to say hello.

    Jill Eckerdt
    Mercer Middle School Nurse
    206-252-8007 (phone, direct line)
    206-743-3148 (secure fax)

    Additional Resources

    Visit our SPS District Health Services Resource page for links to additional helpful information for families.

    School-Based Health Center (SBHC)

    Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

    Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan

    Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

    Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services. King County School Health