Mercer teachers are working hard to accomplish four main goals for Independent Reading which will result in our students becoming stronger readers!
We Want to Partner with You to Support Your Child in Reading!
Reading Band Toolkit
- Please click here to find the Reading Band Toolkit. You can also find this toolkit by clicking on the Academics section of the Mercer webpage.
- Please print the toolkit and use it to ask your child questions, and check in with them about what they can be working on and how they are improving as readers.
What Families Can Do at Home:
- Know your child as a reader.
- Their reading level and the skills they need to master at that level to move up (you can find this information in your reading band tookit).
- Encourage your child to read independently at home.
- 20-30 minutes every day
- Talk to them about what they are tracking and paying attention to in their book.
- Support and monitor progress toward mastering the skills in their reading level bands.
- Ask to see examples of the thinking and tracking they are doing in their books.
- Ask what they are improving on as a reader.