Mercer International Middle School PTSA 6-15-435
SECRETARY JOB DESCRIPTION
The secretary is a member of the PTSA board of directors and executive committee. This is an elected position, nominated and approved by simple majority vote at a general membership meeting in the spring. The term of this position is one year, beginning July 1st and ending June 30th of the following year. A commitment of at least two terms is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The secretary attends and keeps minutes of all board of directors, executive committee, and general membership meetings.
- Together with the president, the secretary plans the meeting agenda and informs the president of any unfinished business at the meetings. The secretary also issues all “calls” or notices of meetings and conducts such correspondence as the board of directors or executive committee may designate.
- At meetings the secretary determines if a quorum is present, handles attendance, and in the event both the president and the vice president are absent, calls the meeting to order and asks for nominations for a chair pro-tem.
- After the minutes are approved, it is the secretary’s responsibility to ensure they are posted on the website.
- Works with the treasurer and the membership chair to keep an up-to-date roster of members and keep an up-to-date record of all committees, making sure the names, addresses, email addresses and phone numbers of new officers and any changes in this data are entered via WSPTA’s online membership enrollment program.
- At the end of the year (June 30) the secretary should be sure all copies of the legal documents notebooks and permanent record files are in order and ready to transfer to new officers.
- Hard copies of all minutes, correspondence, committee reports, newsletters, meeting notices, etc., should be maintained, by the secretary, in the official files at the school.
- Assembles and sends meeting notices to the general membership, including materials such as agendas, minutes of the past meetings, etc.
- Assembles and sends notices to the general membership regarding school/PTSA events and activities, volunteer opportunities, recognition, and other topics of interest.
- Monitors and responds to correspondence from the PTSA’s Outlook account and/or forwards to the appropriate board/school staff member.
- Assembles and sends the PTSA news and updates section to the school e-news coordinator.
- Send PTSA website updates to the school liaison for posting. http://mercerms.seattleschools.org/school_involvement/PTSA